We all buy that jar of pesto from Costco, right? It is handy for throwing together a meal. All I need is pesto, boiled pasta and maybe some chicken or shrimp if I am feeling fancy. But I admit, half the jar goes bad because I don’t use it quick enough. One solution is when I first open the jar, I scoop half out into a container and freeze it. Another solution is to get serious about ways to use it besides pasta. In comes pesto-roasted vegetables.
Ideal for roasting
Prepared pesto is ideal for roasting. It has everything in one condiment. Olive oil, herbs, seasoning and cheese. And the pine nuts make for perfect color as they toast up. Slather pesto on salmon, chicken or shrimp and roast away. You can also do veggies, like these pesto-roasted vegetables. You don’t have to add more oil, it’s all in the pesto. And you get mega flavor from the basil, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
In this recipe, I use potatoes, red onion and red bell peppers. If it was summertime, I would use zucchini and yellow squash. But in the winter, I stick with the basics. You could of course use all potatoes if you want.
Red bell peppers
I go through a lot of red bell peppers. I just love them. They add flavor to everything. I used two red bell peppers with these pesto-roasted vegetables. You could do green bell peppers, but I like the sweetness from the red bells.
Again, you could use any other kind of onion, but I like red onions with this. Maybe even some thick-sliced shallots would be good.
Other veggies I would roast up in this dish:
- sweet potatoes
- yellow squash
- wedges of fresh tomatoes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Pesto-roasted vegetables are a great way to change up your side dish game. Big flavor, convenient and bound to make a meal complete.
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup prepared pesto sauce
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Set oven to 425 degrees F. On a rimmed baking sheet, add all vegetables. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- If pesto sauce is cold, microwave for 30 seconds. Pour pesto over the vegetables and toss with your hands, coating everything evenly.
- Roast vegetables for 30 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway through cooking time. Serve vegetables with chopped fresh basil on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
Keywords: roasted vegetables