I am a typical 30-something female. I could eat salad for every meal. I could do the whole vegetarian thing easily. Big lunchtime salads are my thing. And I really like making them seasonal. This orange pomegranate lentil salad is right up my alley. Crunchy napa cabbage, green lentils, toasted almonds, bright fruit and all dressed up in a champagne vinaigrette. You probably shouldn’t watch me eat something like this because it is a war zone.
Are you a meal prepper? Are you the kind of person that likes to get your meals prepped before the week takes off. This salad would work great with that. Because it is cabbage, it could handle having the vinaigrette sit at the bottom of a container until you are ready to shake it up and have lunch. Yes, the dressing will separate, but once you shake it all up, you won’t notice a different.
There are a few trade outs you could use with this salad, but some things should stay put. For sure, you need to keep the same fruit. But go ahead and trade out the lentils for quinoa. Some red quinoa would be lovely. Another good trade would be getting rid of the lentils for some chopped chicken. Then you’ve for a meal. And then it is also perfect for bringing to a baby shower or bridal shower. It is definitely chick food.
Orange pomegranate lentil salad could stand up to a change in dressing. A red wine vinaigrette would work and so would balsamic. But I wouldn’t use a creamy dressing.
Cooking lentils is something I haven’t mastered. I have tried a few methods, but they don’t seem perfect. Time particular time, I simmered them for about 30 minutes. They kind of fell apart. Everything still tasted fine, but they weren’t too pretty. If you have a great method of cooking lentils that you use, let me know.Print
Every season needs it’s own seasonal salad, especially winter! This one has two fruits that are in prime season in the cold winter months- oranges and pomegranate. Dressed in a bright champagne vinaigrette, it will chase the winter blues away.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 6 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 2 naval oranges, peels cut off and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add almonds. Toast the almonds, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Pour the toasted almonds onto a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, add cabbage, cucumber, orange slices, pomegranate arils, green lentils and almonds. Toss to combine.
- In a medium-sized jar, combine olive oil, vinegar, grated garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Twist the lid on and shake until well combined. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad and toss. Serve immediately.
- Category: salads
Keywords: salad, vegetarian