Have you ever gone to shuck some corn and you open it up to find that it’s a half ass cob? Like only half of the corn has grown in and you are left with a dud? That is what happened with this recipe. So frustrating. That is what I get for using Instacart for produce. Normally I like to go to the actualy grocery store and get my produce myself. But I got lazy. Luckily, this grilled corn salad with avocado and basil can handle being short some corn.
I am a monster with a salad like this. I love grilled corn and it goes so well with creamy avocado and a tangy dressing. The bread was added as an after thought and it turns out it’s the best part of the salad. I have been making sourdough bread lately and be excited when there are some leftovers after my family has ravaged the latest loaf. They are like buzzards attacking a deer carcass as soon as it comes out of the oven. Luckily, I stole away a few slices for this salad. Brushed with olive oil and grilled until crisp, they are the perfect sponge for flavor.
Grilled to bring out the best
Everything for this grilled corn salad with avocado and basil is grilled, except for the avocado. I haven’t ever grilled avocado, but I bet it is lovely. Anything is made better by grilling. If I had had a red bell pepper, I would have grilled that as well. Truly though, if you are prepping this salad and pulling out ingredients, add anything else that looks good. Grape tomatoes, sliced almonds, quinoa, fresh parsley.
Notes on preparation
- For the crusty bread, I used some sourdough. You could use french bread or ciabatta. Use plain old white bread slices, but keep in mind they might get soggy quickly.
- If you can’t get fresh corn on the cob, you can saute some frozen corn until it has a nice char on it. In a pinch, you can use canned corn.
Grilling brings out the best in any food. Grilled corn salad with avocado & basil is summertime grilled glory. Pair with a tangy dressing & you're golden!
- 6 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 red onion, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Set grill to medium-high heat. Once the grill is heated, add corn cobs, onion rounds and bread slices. Grill on both sides, until grill marks appear. The bread will be done before the onions and corn. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, but the bread into bite-sized pieces and add to a medium bowl. Cut the corn off the cob and roughly chop the red onions. Add to the bowl. Add the avocado, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Gently fold to combine all ingredients. Serve immediately.
- If not serving immediately, separate the bread into a separate bowl and the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper into a jar. Combine when ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: Grilled, salad, Vegetarian