It is time to take your potato game up a notch. Browned butter smashed potatoes are crispy, creamy, crunchy & salty all in one bite!
- 2 1/2 pounds small potatoes, about 24 total
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Set oven to 425 degrees F. Add potatoes to a large pot and add water. You want the water to go 3-4 inches above the potatoes. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the browned butter.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add butter. Once butter is melted, stir constantly. First the butter will bubble and then begin to foam. Continue stirring until the butter smells nutty and the milk solids in the butter have turned brown. Immediately remove from the heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are very tender, pour into a colander to drain the water. Add the potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet, spreading them out evenly. With another rimmed baking sheet, press down on the cooked potatoes, smashing them between the two pans. You may want to use a towel since the top pan will get hot from the potatoes. Smash the potatoes down as much as you can.
- Give the cooled browned butter a final stir and then brush it on the potatoes with a pastry brush. Drizzle any remaining butter on the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast potatoes for 40-45 minutes, until the edges are crispy. Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top and serve.
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: side dishes
- Method: boiling and roasting
Keywords: potatoes, starch sides