These chocolate chip scones are crusty & crisp on the outside & tender & moist on the inside. They are the perfect companion to a cup of tea.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Set oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Add slices of cold butter and mix into the flour with a pastry cutter until the butter is like small pebbles.
- In a liquid measuring up, add buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk well to combine and add to dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Dump the whole mixture onto the counter and gently knead the dough into a ball. Flatten the dough into an 8-inch disc and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut the disc into 8 wedges. Wiggle the knife in between each wedge, creating a little space for the scone to expand as it bakes. Sprinkle the tops with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake scones for 20-23 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk. Whisk until smooth and drizzle over cooled scones.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 23
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baking
Keywords: scones, breakfast, chocolate chips